Monday, March 15, 2021

Are You Salty?

guest writer

by Adam Lustig

You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has lost it's
flavor, with what will it be salted? It is then good For
nothing, but to be cast out and trampled under people's feet.
Matthew 5:13 NHEB

Back in the day when I was on staff for two summers at Philmont National Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico, I noticed one of the local dairy farmers in the town of Cimmaron where Philmont was located had salt blocks in his pasture for his cows. Being a curious lad, I asked him why he has these huge blocks of salt in his pasture.

He told me the salt helps his cows replenish minerals they need for proper digestion that they don't get from grazing in his pasture. The more I study the life of Jesus Christ the more I appreciate his parables and analogies and man the analogy at the top of this posting from Matthew 5 is a great one.

You and I are compared to salt and as the Holy Spirit brings people across our path God has provided us with the nutrient (Jesus Christ) to give to people who are malnourished spiritually because of sin which is a result of grazing on the cares of this world.

Is Jesus saying that if we become un-salty from spiritual stagnation that we are condemned? Of course not, just that we become ineffective in drawing people to Christ and in turn the world snuffs out our testimony,

The climate that we live in here in America can really do a number on us if we are not solid in God's Word and tapped into the power of the Spirit of God. Picture your house with its wiring running all thru it that carries electricity but if you don't flip on the switch to turn on the lights in your home the electricity will just stay in the wires and not send power to the bulbs that light your home.

It is easy for us as Christians to throw up our hands and say "America is too far gone" and have any kind of an impact on our neighbors and beyond our neighborhoods, believe me, the thought enters my mind often but then God speaks to me and says "Is Anything Too Hard for me?" I think we forget to temper our saltiness to often with prayer.

Remember that great passage for the church that God gave to Moses in where He says and I will paraphrase:

Remember kids you have been called by me to humble yourselves for
whatever you pray for I am listening to your prayers and dont forget
before you come to me confess anything that will hider your conversation
with me for I am listening and I am ready to heal America.
2 Chronicles 7:14

So are we up for the challenge to be salty? I think we are. America these last few months has been thirsty more than ever, I believe. There are people all around us that need the living water of Jesus Christ and God is waiting to quench their thirst.

Thanks for Listening,

Editors Note

Adam's commentary mentions how dairy farmers must give their cows anough salt to be sure their system works as needed, since they don't get salt from the grass they eat in the pasture. Well, like the cows, so too are Alpine Ibex goats. They need salt and minerals to ensure they have what their muscles, nerves, immune, and reproductive systems needs to be healthy. So, they will go to extremme measures to get the minerals they need. Even so far as to climb the 80ยบ Cingino Dam in Northern Italy to get the salt that exudes from the rocks used to make the dam. Check out the short video and be amazed at God's creation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, and it will be posted immediately. However, if your comment is offensive in anyway, it will be removed.

I welcome differing opinions, I do believe in free speech, just not vulgar cuss laden comments written for the only purpose of offending people in general.

Differing opinions is not what I refer to, go ahead and disagree, but in a polite way so we can have a logical respectful discussion.

By offensive, I mean by being vulgar, as in swearing, using God's name in vain, or derogatorily offensive in a way you would not talk to your own Grandmother, Mother, or daughter, and then the comment will be removed.

I may not respond to your comment promptly, and there is no way with blogger for me to respond directly to your comment,. So come back and look for me to respond in a new comment to you by the name you post your comment with.